Application meetings with The Blue Room Theatre Producers are open: 13 February – 3 March 2017
Applications Due: 15 March 2017
Applicant Notification: Late March 2017
Season Dates: August – December 2017
Applicants are required to discuss their proposed production with The Blue Room Theatre Producer Jenna Mathie (jenna[at]blueroom.org.au) prior to submission, in order to assess the project’s eligibility for application. You will have access to an application form once you have had a meeting with our Producer.
For further information please check out our Development Season Information Pack.
The Blue Room Theatre houses three seasons of independent theatre and performance per year. The first season is titled Summer Nights and is curated as part of the FRINGE WORLD Festival each year. The second and third seasons are titled Development Seasons. They exist to support theatre and performance makers to create and present new works.
All works selected for a season are chosen by a rotating independent panel of peer assessors chosen by The Blue Room Theatre. Peers change from season to season.
The peer assessors curate a season of work that fulfils our purpose of championing new artists, new work, and new ways of making work.
– Works that are between 50 – 120 mins in duration
– Works that create opportunities for professional development
– Independent productions by project-based producers, companies and artists rather than annually funded or commercial organisations
– Theatre, dance or performance work
– Works by emerging and established professional artists with a range of backgrounds and experience
– Work that has not been seen in WA before including new local and international plays and radical reinterpretations of current and classic texts
– Works that have obtained or sought rights (for existing scripts only)
– Applications must be submitted by a current member of The Blue Room Theatre
Artists and companies whose work is selected to be produced during the Seasons are offered four weeks’ fully subsidized access to a fully equipped venue, with a three-week production season in either The Blue Room Main or Studio space. Both venues are intimate and flexible black box theatres (73 and 50 seats max respectively). The small scale and intimacy of The Blue Room Theatre venues make them ideally suited for new and emerging producers to develop and showcase new work. Risk is minimised and artists are given the freedom to work with a high level of artistic autonomy.
– Exclusive use of the studio or theatre for a three week season
– $2000 cash production funds
– Access to a $500 mentorship fund
– Free rehearsal space onsite (if booked in advance on a first-come first-served basis)
– 7 day bump-in to your production venue
– 90% of your box office after ticketing fees and other reimbursable expenses (e.g. photocopying, projector hire)
– Production and Marketing support including a professional marketing campaign for the overall Blue Room Theatre season in which your production is included
– Technical support including use of venue, seating, lighting and sound equipment
– Artistic freedom in a supportive and professional theatre and office environment
– Advocacy and support to present the work in future venues
– Ticketing and bar staff for the season
Applicants are required to discuss their proposed production with Jenna Mathie (Producer) prior to submission, in order to assess the project’s eligibility for application. You will have access to an application form once you have had a meeting with our Producer. Email jenna[at]blueroom.org.au or call 9227 7005.
Applicants are then required to submit an application for panel assessment. The key contact of your application must be a member of The Blue Room Theatre.
New assessors are chosen each application round drawn from across the industry, including practicing artists, directors, playwrights and educators.
To make sure you find out when applications are open either become a member or join our mailing list today.