Sustained Playwriting is a course facilitated by veteran award-winning playwright Hellie Turner for early emerging theatre artists and recent graduates.
By the end of the course writers will have written a strong first scene of a new play, and will have a plan for how to proceed towards the completion of a first draft that is suitable for submission to Playwriting Australia.
This will be achieved by:
– Engaging participants working with either text-based or devised works in an array of exercises designed to encourage awareness of script elements, and to build/reinforce script writing skills
– Inviting exposure to, and deep exploration of, world issues and universal themes
– Providing artists with the opportunity for professional dramaturgical feedback
– Facilitating interaction between emerging and senior artists, including the course facilitator, a guest playwright and a dramaturg
– Providing writers with an opportunity to have a scene read by professional actors, for a public audience
The course will run on Monday evenings over eight consecutive weeks with the following format:
The participants, who will be selected via an expression of interest process, must be available for all eight sessions and must commit to completing all required take-home tasks, as set by the course facilitator.
Cost: $50 per participant for the entire course
Dates: Monday 8 May, Monday 15 May, Monday 22 May, Monday 29 May, Tuesday 6 June, Monday 12 June and Monday 26 June as the public reading evening. The date of the WAAPA performance is still to be confirmed. All sessions will be held in the evenings, exact times TBC.
Expressions of interest have now closed. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by Friday 14 April at the latest.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Producer Jenna Mathie on jenna[at]blueroom.org.au or 9227 7005.