The Blue Room Theatre and PICA partner again to present a season of exceptional contemporary performance in PICA’s Performance Space. We are seeking proposals for high quality, presentation-ready works from around the corner and across the globe suitable for a season at PICA.
PICA’s key aim is to promote, support and present contemporary arts and to stimulate critical discussion around the arts and broader cultural issues. Providing a site for experimentation, critical analysis, discussion and debate is fundamental to its charter. PICA is known for the rigour and breadth of its artistic programs, high production standards and impeccable presentation. An icon of contemporary thinking, PICA is a catalyst for innovative and ground breaking art and culture. Not constrained by convention, PICA gives artists and audiences a glimpse of what is possible.
In 2016 we are looking for
• works that suit PICA’s black box Performance Space
• new or existing works of contemporary dance, experimental theatre, live art, new music and sound
• projects with conceptual rigour, have been thoroughly researched and are culturally engaging and relevant – we want work that needs to be made now!
• experimental approaches to art form development and innovative live experiences for audiences – if you have an ambitious and unusual idea we want to hear about it!
• works by artists at pivotal stages of their career, whether it be emerging, mid-career and established – we want to support artists in the development of their career and those ready to challenge audiences
Summer Nights applications for PICA’s Performance Space should address their alignment with PICA’s aims, particularly towards experimental live practice and the development of art forms, ambitious new ideas and providing innovative experiences for audiences. The selection of works will be programmed by jointly by PICA and The Blue Room, with successful works being recognized as being part of PICA’s 2016 Artistic program. Notably, this includes additional marketing and promotional support provided by PICA:
• Listing in the PICA Guide (distribution 6,000 nationally)
• PICA website – over 30,000 unique users per month
• Enews – over 7,000 subscribers
• Social media:
• Twitter (over 5,000 followers)
• Facebook – including event page (over 7,000 followers)
• Instagram (over 2,000 followers)
Venue Capacity – 100
mid-June 2016 – Summer Nights Applications Open
5pm, Friday 15 July 2016 – Summer Nights Applications Close
20 Jan – 18 Feb 2017 – Summer Nights as part of FRINGE WORLD