We’re turning green.
The 1987 UN Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development Our Common Future defined sustainability as “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs”. This definition has expanded over time including the 2000 Earth Charter which draws on the idea of a global community that is “founded on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice, and a culture of peace”.
The Blue Room Theatre is committed to playing our part to transform the world; we are committed to sustainable economic, social and ecological development in our sphere of activity and influence. Sustainability can be misunderstood as the ability to sustain what we already have. At The Blue Room Theatre we believe that as global citizens we need to be more than this. We need to be resilient and adaptive: to change, to risk, and to growth.
As part of that commitment, we have significantly decreased our environmental impact and carbon output and are on track to be carbon neutral in 2020.
This follows a full audit of our energy usage in 2012 by environmental auditors Simply Carbon, carried out with generous support through the City of Perth Environment Grants and Sponsorship program. Since 2015 we have kept an annual audit of our carbon emissions and implemented a range of energy efficiency measures around the venue, including:
- The installation of rooftop solar panels
- The installation of LED lights
- The replacement of old systems throughout the venue with newer, energy-efficient models
- The use of Who Gives A Crap toilet paper, which is 100% recycled, with 50% of profits going towards building sanitation in developing countries
- The removal of bottled water as a product for sale at our venue
- A sustainability policy which includes a commitment to social equity and greater diversity
- An overhaul of our waste management through introducing the three bin system
A Sustainability Subcommittee of the Board drives our initiatives; to find out more about our progress, view the related posts on this page and our sustainability policy.