EXPRESSION OF INTEREST – SUMMER NIGHTS 2023
We are warming up for Summer with a special announcement and artist opportunity!
What is the opportunity?
The Naavikaran Collective will be touring a performance series as part of Summer Nights 2023 and they are looking for Boorloo-based performers to join the existing ensemble.
The performance will be announced later this year as part of Summer Nights 2023. Across a minimum of 5 performances in February 2023, the series is based on journeys of displacement, queer liberation and the euphoria of culture as explored through poetry, music and dance.
Who is involved?
My name is Naavikaran, and I am the initiator of our collective, a BIPOC-led dream space for artists and story-tellers. I am a multi-gender trans woman. A writer, creative producer, multi-media artist and choreographer. I am a lover, a sensitive-bean and a chai-drinker.
What is The Naavikaran Collective?
We’re a BIPOC-led International Production House based in Meanjin (Brisbane, Australia). We create theatre works, short films, educational workshops and live performances that are holistic and anti-racist, with community, in-community and for community.
Further information about Naavikaran here:
Who is this opportunity for?
The work is produced and written by migrant and trans Goddess Naavikaran, and brought to life in Meanjin by several other transgender, First Nations and POC, disabled and single-parent creatives.
For the Boorloo version, The Naavikaran Collective are looking for:
- Performers that are comfortable on stage
- Performers will be comfortable on stage and have experience performing in front of live audiences. Ideally can learn choreography and movement elements to the show (show can be flexible to performer requirements/preferences)
- Good collaborators
- can work with and share their own material while also collaborating with the original cast
- Must be able to collaborate with an original cast and be respectful of the team’s lived experience
- Women or non-binary creators from underrepresented communities
- Performers with availability in January and February 2023 for rehearsals – schedule TBC
Please note: The redevelopment plan for the performance is to adapt the work to the entire cast (including the new members), the venue (The Blue Room Theatre) and the respective local communities based on the original show, its technical specifications, costuming and choreography. We are therefore flexible to everyone’s needs, this includes organized time management, regular breaks and sustainable work plans.
How to apply?
Please submit your name, your preferred contact details and a short paragraph or video recording on why you would like to be part of the performance opportunity.
Submit your EOI to email@example.com before 15 September midnight AWST and further information will be supplied in the form of an Opportunity Info Pack.